Last week my father in law gave me a vanity bench that was in need of some serious love. There was no cover on the seat and the wood was chipped and scratched.
A quick trip to the craft store so I could get some spray paint and fabric and I was ready to get started! I use Krylon spray paint because it is a primer and paint in one. It’s great for furniture painting. It doesn’t drip and dries in minutes (10 to be exact). I went with Ocean Blue in Gloss.
Not too shabby with only one coat. I waited about 30 minutes and then turned it over to get the bottom of the legs and the inside of the top.
Next was to cover the seat. I got 1 yard of this fabric, which is plenty. This is a heavy 100% cotton fabric. If I had gone with something more light weight, I would have had to use some sort of backing to it so that it wouldn’t be see thru. The seat size is 12 x 30 x 6. I laid out the fabric, print side down, and placed the seat on top of it, foam side down. Making sure to line up the seat so the pattern is lined up all along the edges of the foam. Next I wrapped the fabric on the long sides of the seat up tight, and began stapling.
Note. I let Jason staple. Not that its a difficult job, anyone can do it but making this a 2 person job on the stapling helps to ensure its tight all the way around and I could focus on making sure the pattern was lined up. Once the stapling is complete I took a hammer to each staple to get them flush, so they weren’t sticking up.
Tackling the ends can be tricky. Everyone has their own go to way of doing it. I folded the fabric in so it would have a nice clean seam on the corners, creased the fabric so I could see a line when I unfolded it, cut away the excess fabric to avoid bulges, and then re folded and stapled.
Once this one done on both ends I took to the corners with thread and needle, creating a hidden stitch. I didn’t want the ends coming un-tucked and I am not a fan of hot gluing fabric.
After completing the 4 corners it was time to attach it to the base with the original bolts. Making a small hole in the fabric where each hole is on the seat first, then line up the base, putting the bolts in was really simple.
I love the finished product. It fits perfectly under my bathroom vanity and while the husband doubts I’ll ever use it to sit on we both know a little lady that will!